The Brother XM2701 is a great little lightweight machine for home use. It’s small but mighty – packed with loads of features that meet the needs of beginners learning to sew in addition to advanced hobbyists that are looking for versatility or portability.
It’s affordable, simple, and easy to use, making it an appealing contender for people looking for an introductory machine. Plus, its easily available online, which makes it a great option for those that want to try sewing during this never-ending pandemic-related social distancing season.
This machine was clearly designed for ease of use. There is a built-in easy needle threader and jam-resistant quick-set top drop-in bobbin – both nice touches for beginner machines.
All in all we think features and user-friendly design make this an option worth considering for any beginner, and for advanced sewists looking for a portable, backup machine. One thing to note, if you want to get into sewing heavy weight fabrics, think twice on this one. Let’s get into the details and we’ll give you the full scoop.
Brother XM2701 Specifications
- Dimensions: 12.1″ x 5.9″ x 15.3″
- Weight: 12.57 lbs
- Power Source: Treadle Power
- Stitches: 27 Built-in Stitches
- Speed: Approx 800 spins per minute
- Material Construction: Metal
- Accessories Included: 6 sewing feet, 3 piece needle set, twin needle, 4 bobbins, instructional DVD, and manual
- Attachments: Free arm
- Stitch/ Design Selection: Dial
The features are incorporated into a simplistic design that makes it easy to operate. Although the design of the Brother XM2701 sewing machine may seem a little too basic for advanced sewists, there are many situations where this simplicity is likely to be appreciated.
Not only does the lightweight feel make it easier to transport, which is ideal for those who require it in attendance of sewing classes etc, but it’s also great for the completion of projects that do not require an advanced, industrial type of machine.
The flowery design is cutesy – not necessarily a bad thing but for those who prefer a sleek, minimalistic machine, (or maybe something less “girly”) this is something to be aware of.
The Brother XM2701 has 27 different built-in stitches that allow you to select the most appropriate option for the project that you are creating and the aesthetic that you are wanting to achieve.
Providing you with all the stitch patterns that you could need, this machine is particularly versatile. Said stitching patterns include blind hem, zigzag, stretch stitches, and many more.
On the panel above the dial, each of the stitch patterns along with the number that they correlate to on the dial are detailed in an easy-to-read chart. Once you have identified the stitch that you would like from the chart, you can then use the stitch selector (the dial) to set the correct pattern.
This machine also has a lever that can be used for reverse stitching purposes, a process that has an integral role in finalizing seams as well as starting them.
The expanse of stitching patterns that have been incorporated into this machine means that it is bound to create any pattern that you desire for the project that you are working on.
Automatic Needle Threader
Pushing the thread through the needle can be a challenging process for many, particularly those that have poor eyesight and the time spent attempting to thread the needle can often make the thought of using the machine a little off-putting.
However, the Brother XM2701 features an automatic needle threader that does this job for you. Following your interaction with the lever which is positioned on the side panel of the machine, the thread will then be automatically pushed through the needle.
Aside from this, the drop-in top bobbin is jam resistant for convenient use. This also means that you will not be confronted with a lack of thread when the machine is in use so your sewing experience isn’t going to be disrupted.
Setting Up The Machine
For those who are new to sewing, the thought of setting up and getting started with their own machine can be rather daunting, however, the Brother XM2701 is praised for being easy to set up and function.
Aside from the clear dial and stitching diagram which is easy to identify and use, it also comes with a user manual that details all of the guidance needed to begin using this machine with ease.
Though it isn’t one of the most advanced models that the market has to offer, the intuitive and engaging display allows for easy use.
Six Sewing Feet
The Brother XM2701 provides you with 6 sewing feet which are easy to alternate between should you require the use of a different one when the machine is in use.
All that you need to do to remove the foot that you are currently using by pushing it down and then secure another one in its place. These feet include a zipper foot, a zigzag foot, a narrow hemmer, a one-step buttonhole foot, a button sewing foot, and a blind hem foot.
As anticipated each of these feet are best suited to a particular purpose depending on the requirements of the project that you are working on. The zipper foot allows you to add zips, using the zigzag foot you can add stretchable zigzag stitching to your makes (necessary for working with knits), the narrow hemmer is great for smaller and more intricate projects.
The one-step buttonhole foot makes the task of creating buttonholes much easier. As expected, the button sewing foot removes the difficulty of adding buttons to your projects. Finally, the blind hem foot allows you to add discrete hems to your fabric.
The variety of different sewing feet means that most of your sewing needs are covered and any additional features and details can be added to your projects with ease.
The provision of the free arm also enhances the versatility of the machine and this makes it much easier to use when it comes to working on more intricate projects. As such, you can complete a range of different sewing projects with ease.
Another impressive feature of the Brother XM2701 is the addition of an LED light. Many machines lack this feature however it can be extremely helpful in illuminating your area, ideal for those who often work when visibility is poor and could benefit from the additional light source. More light is generally a good thing when it comes to sewing.
As such, the light also provides you with a guide, ensuring that any possible mistakes caused by poor lighting are avoided.
Weight and Portability
As a lightweight machine, the Brother XM2701 is a portable option. The compact design means that it can be added to your workspace without consuming a lot of room.
The weight of the machine also means that it is much easier to transport in between locations. This is ideal for those who enjoy attending sewing classes as they aren’t faced with the task of lifting and moving an overly heavy machine.
Included Instruction Manual and DVD
As we have touched upon previously when you purchase the Brother XM2701 sewing machine you will also receive an instructional manual and a DVD.
A great thing about the DVD is that it very much emulates the feeling of having someone there tutoring you on the features of the machine and how it functions.
While this may not be significant to those who have previous experience of using sewing machines, this additional guidance is likely to be appreciated by beginners.
Using a machine with very little knowledge can be confusing particularly if you aren’t provided with many visual aids, however, the Brother XM2701 ensures that this isn’t an issue.
Pros of the Brother XM2701
- Affordability – For a lower cost offering, this machine comes with many impressive features. Given the features and capabilities of this sewing machine, it retails at a very affordable price.
- Ease of Use – Though we have touched upon this multiple times previously, the intuitiveness and ease of use simply cannot be ignored. The design of the Brother XM2701 removes any uncertainty regarding how it should be used, great for beginner sewists. You can easily select the desired stitch pattern using the dial and the chart found just above it provides the details of each pattern. While it is a great beginner option, it is very versatile and can grow with the progression of your skill. You are also provided with additional resources which are going to make this task even easier.
- Portability: As a lightweight sewing machine it provides an excellent option for those whose sewing expertise takes them to different locations. It isn’t very bulky so it is going to be easy to transport between locations when needed. For those who currently have a larger machine, this is a worthy option that can be used as a backup option for traveling purposes alone. The size also makes it a great addition to workspaces that are restricted on available space as it isn’t going to consume a huge amount of room.
- Quiet Functioning: Many sewing machines can be rather noisy when operating. However, this particular model is praised for producing a minimal amount of noise so it can be used in a shared setting without causing loud, unwanted disruptions.
- Ideal For a Range Of Basic and Advanced Projects: A great thing about this sewing machine is that it is suitable for beginner and advanced sewists alike. The selection of 27 stitch patterns gives you the freedom to create a range of different projects with the desired finish and detailing. The free arm also makes the completion of intricate projects much easier. Aside from this, the selection of feet also allows you to select the most appropriate option for the task at hand.
- Warranty and Customer Service Support: When purchased through Amazon, the Brother XM2701 is covered by an impressive 25-year limited warranty. Should you experience any problems with the functionality of this machine there will be support available. Customers are also provided with lifetime access to technical support offered by the company. If you experience any problems with the machine for the duration of time that you own it, you can contact a member of their team who will provide you with rectification to the issue.
Cons of the Brother XM2701
- The Speed Cannot Be Adjusted: Unfortunately, unlike many other sewing machines, the Brother XM2701 doesn’t incorporate adjustable speed control. While you can of course alter the speed by adjusting the pressure that you apply to the foot pedal, this mechanism is rather sensitive and so it can be difficult to maintain a medium speed as a slight increase of pressure causes the machine to operate faster.
- The LED Light Could Be Brighter: Although the LED light is a favorable feature, it isn’t very bright. Of course, the significance of this issue is going to depend upon the time of day that you are most likely to find yourself using the machine. During the daytime where you are surrounded by natural light, you may not notice a huge difference, however, as the natural light becomes dimmer you will likely require an illuminated workspace, and a brighter light would be beneficial.
- Isn’t Compatible With Multiple Layers of Fabric: This sewing machine doesn’t cope very well with thicker fabrics and is instead better used as a lightweight machine. While it is great for stretchier materials, it will struggle to sew through multiple layers of denim and leather. While this may not be an issue for advanced sewists who are likely to have an industrial machine designated for projects that use thicker materials, for beginners, it is an issue that is worth noting.
Finishing Touch (a.k.a. Final Thoughts)
As a brand, Brother is renowned for manufacturing high-quality, well-performing sewing machines and the Brother XM2701 model is certainly no exception.
The Brother XM2701 is an affordable sewing machine that is ideal for beginner sewists in particular. Although there are areas for improvement, it is equipped with an expanse of features that are likely to cater to the needs of most sewers.
The selection of stitching patterns can easily be selected using the dial and the lightweight and portable build makes it easy to transport.
On the whole, the Brother XM2701 is a great sewing machine that can be used for the completion of many sewing projects.
As always, happy sewing!